Thursday, May 13, 2004

Following a freak May snow storm Tuesday, I spent yesterday at home, in my pajamas. I know I live in Winnipeg, which is well known for it's frigid winter tempatures, but spring is USUALLY nice and warm. Of course, no matter how bad it is, you just can't win with Winnipeggers. I have learned since moving here that one of the features that distinguishes true Manitobians is the inability to admit the weather is bad... by citing how bad it's been in years past. Example: I've lived here for almost five years and have seen some ungodly winter lows: -40-45 C! But no matter how cold it gets I'm reminded that I have yet to experience a "true Winnipeg winter". Even this past winter, which saw the coldest of cold tempetures and more snow than the past 30 years, didn't suffice. "That's almost a real Winnipeg winter".

On Tuesday, a mere day after I contemplated wearing shorts to work, as nearly 30 cm on snow fell, this old guy told me, "Well, of course it's no where as near as bad it was 2 million years ago." Strangely, this did little to console me.

While enjoying a snow day, I finally seat down and watched Jackie Brown. Now I'm a huge Tarantino fan; have been for a long time, but for some reason, I've only ever seen the first 20 or 30 minutes of this film. When Pulp Fiction came out I saw in 13 times in the theatre, but this film I didn't even go once. Maybe it's that it was an adaptation of someone else's work (though it's Elmore Leonard, who I generally like). After finally watching the film in its entirety, I've come to the conclusion that it really is one of Tarantino's best films. Stylistically, it's on par with the phenomenally visual Kill Bill; the dialogue is as sharp as (sometimes even sharper than) Pulp Fiction. This is a great film, with stand out performances: Pam Grier has never been better; Robert Forester is brilliant, Michael Keaton is great, Sam Jackson... is Sam Jackson. There isn't a character who isn't note perfect, from DeNiro to Fonda; everyone is exactly as they should be.

No comments: