Monday, August 13, 2007

Figure four is half of eight

I saw Stardust on the weekend. It's very good. Michelle Pfeiffer has followed up her 5 year hiatus from filmmaking with two of the best villians of the year: Velma Von Tussle in Hairspray and the witch Lamia in Stardust.

I run hot and cold when it comes to fantasy. I didn't read a lot of it as a kid. I've never read A Stitch in Time or The Hobbit. I've never read any Robert Jordan, though I have made it through the Lord of the Rings and the Narina books, but even these highly enjoyable works have done little to prompt me to venture further into the world of magic. Neil Gaiman, whose works, which include the novella on which the film is based, were first suggested to me by the pixie-ish Jaimie, has become a favourite author.

6 comments:

Dave said...

Your office door looks like the inside of a highschool film geek's locker. I dig that.

Rebs said...

did you mean "A Wrinkle in Time?"

if you did, it's a pretty good book. for us fantasy types, that is.

Keira said...

A Wrinkle in Time is a good read.
Also I just finished reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman - also highly interesting, and it's being made into a movie . . . could be a disaster or it could be excellent.
Wow. I really am a fantasy geek.

Michael said...

Wrinkle in Time. That's it.

Jaimie said...

I am so so so excited about The Golden Compass movie - I saw the trailer for it when I saw Stardust this week, and it looks so good. Especially Iorek Byrnison.

Anonymous said...

You really should read Wrinkle, as well as the rest of the series. L'Engle is profound in a brilliantly subtle way... I admire her tremendously. But then, I really enjoy children's literature. Some don't.