Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'll get over you, I know I will

I never feel as out of touch with popular culture as when I'm watching shows like "Entertainment Tonight" or "Access Hollywood." Those celebrity-focused magazine shows, with interviews with people I've never heard of, tell me loud and clear that I really don't have a clue what young people like, what they're watching or what they're listening to. In the fifteen minutes I was watching ET last night, I didn't know a single "celebrity." I forced myself to keep watching until someone I recognized was featured. Most of these people seemed to be brainless, buxom reality show contestants or American Idol losers, but occassionally there'd be an actor (usually having recently starred with someone else I'd never heard of in a movie I'd never knew was in production) or a singer: someone I should probably know. Or if I do know their names or seen them in something, I have no idea why they are or how they got to be famous (Shia LeBeouf, for example - where'd this guy come from?).

For me, the biggest celebrity mystery would have to be the train-wreck that is Amy Winehouse. Who is this person? I know she's supposedly a singer (and I've heard that stupid "Rehab" song once or twice), but is she popular? Where did she come from? Why should I care?

4 comments:

Dave said...

Dude, trainwreck doesn't even begin to describe it. I have never seen someone be such a visible mess before. She takes it up a notch over Courtney Love.

But no, you shouldn't care. You shouldn't care that you don't know any of these other people either... unless you still watch SNL, in which case you might not get some jokes.

Kanadjin said...

I also am completely clueless as to who is who in Hollywood and I am a fair bit younger... Don't worry you aren't alone.

amphimacer said...

Sure, you should know these people, since they're "stars",
And you're supposed to teach a class in cinema,
So read the tabloids: who's living in bars,
Who's just a fart short of an enema?
I grant you, someone really named "The Beef"
May not be here eleven months from now,
But people said the same of Mick and Keef
And they're still (mostly) upright still, somehow,
And Mr. Beef just starred with Mr. Ford;
The two of them search for a crystal skull,
Which you thought went okay, right? I was bored,
But I thought all those Indy films were dull.
Keep up, young fellow, till you're fifty-five,
When youngsters won't believe you're still alive.

Anonymous said...

"Mr. Beef" was a child actor (recent as opposed to the 1970s era child stars who revolutionized the drug-rehab-comeback move) in a Nickelodian show called Even Stephens. I used to watch it with my kids, who, by the way, don't have a clue who any of the ET stars are either.

I don't think being young automatically makes you a vapid pop star follower. If it did, we'd all be doomed.

Cheryl M.