Monday, August 07, 2006

Whatever gets you through today

I'm cat sitting for my across the street neighbours for the next couple of weeks. I'm not a big cat fan (as some people know), but these cats are unlike any cats I've ever met in my life. Most cats are of the "who the hell are you and why the hell should I care" school. As long as you feed them and clean up their poop, they aren't much interested in you. These cats like attention. They crave it. They are not skittish or scaredy or anything esle I've understood cats to be.

I went over the other day to read the New York Times. I was sitting on the couch in the livingroom, reading about the amazing cornucopia of films one can see if one lived in Manhattan, and suddenly there a cat on me. Now, the cat didn't just climb into my lap, it leaped across the room and landed on the paper. I tried to shift the little fuzzball so that I could at least read while it sat on me, but to no avail. I tried to pick it up, but it just flopped over. I thought about standing up, but was afraid it would use its claws to stay up.

I'd probably still be sitting there if it hadn't needed to use the litterbox.

2 comments:

Clint said...

So this cat supplied a subtle evil rather than the hissing-clawing kind: covering you in hair.

Don't fall for the feline lie that cats are people too.

Michael said...

Definitely the subtle evil variety.

I don't know about the cats not being people thing though. Aloof, distant, only care about you when they want stuff... sounds like a few people I know.