Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I tried to find the key to fifty million fables

25 Random and (not really that) exciting things about me:

1) I know the words to a ridiculous number of lame late 80s, early 90s rap songs. "All right, stop what you're doin'..."

2) My favourite movie is Casablanca. I've seen it over 50 times and can recite the dialogue.

3) I'm addicted to "Lost."

4) I drink an obscene amount of coffee.

5) After learning that people who drink a lot of coffee are more prone to seeing ghosts and experiencing hallucinations, I worry that my life is one vivid (and lousy) day dream.

6) I like my dog more than I like most people.

7) My encyclopedic knowledge of television annoys my wife.

8) I read every book I was supposed to read during undergraduate. It took me ten years to do it.

9)Every Christmas I have to watch A Christmas Carol at least once.

10) People tend to hate me 'cause I never smile.

11) If I could get away with one eccentricity, I would wear a fedora and always dress in black.

12) I reread the Sherlock Holmes stories once a year.












13) I used to have a pet rat. His name was Fred.

14) I have never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I have no desire to see it.






15) I could never live in a small town.

16) I didn't attend a real concert until my first year of university.

17) I made a short movie.

18) My favourite novel is Tom Jones. I'm also love Death of the Heart, Notes from Underground, and High Fidelity.

19) Growing up, I had a huge crush on Mallory Keaton.











20) I still tear up when I think of Brad.

21) My Ipod is full of old-time radio dramas and podcasts.

22) I read Shakespeare in grade 6.

23) I used to collect comedy lps and tapes. I still have a number of them.

24) Gorillaz's "Clint Eastwood" is the perfect "walking down the street" song. The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony" can also get the job done.

25) I enjoying wasting time with these sorts of things...

5 comments:

Tom said...

Well, this is easily the best one I've read. Given number 21 it's clear that I need to pick your brain. See, I've stopped listening to music while I work in favour of podcasts - which means I consume nine hours of podcast, five days a week, and I am hungry for more and better audio programming. What do you listen to?

Michael said...

I keep trying to answer but my wireless kicks me off when I submit. I've lost this all three times, but fourth time's the charm, right?

1) Old Time Radio Detectives, Mysteries, Suspense; Thrillers, Drama, Adventures. The last three are a bit hit and miss for my tastes, but the first three are usually right on the money.

2) Lux Radio Theatre. Hollywood stars of the 30s, 40s and 50s recreate their famous film roles in hour long radio plays. Whether I like it or not depends on the material.

3) The Bugle. Audio newspaper for a visual world. Very funny.

4) St Benedict's Table. Jamie Howison's 5 part series on Anglicianism is fantastic.

5) Philosphy Bites. UK-based philosophers are interviewed for 15 minutes on a topic.

6) New Yorker. Authors pick and read short stories from the New Yorker archives.

7) Moth. Storytelling podcast.

8) Various BBC podcasts: Friday Night Comedy, Scotland's Funny Bits, Thinking Allowed.

9) Official Lost podcast. Audio and video versions.

Bonus 10) If you find an Old Time Radio series you like (ie Philip Marlowe), you can find available episodes on Internet radio archive.

Bonus 11) Christianaudio.com has a free audiobook each month. Sometimes the selections make me cringe, but they throw in some classics (Augustine, Calvin, Tolstoy).

Tom said...

Wow! I will have to google some of these. Also, I am forwarding you an email I got from Best Buy. Apparently members of their 'Reward Zone' program are getting a chance at an early preorder of Leonard Cohen tickets. I guess he's coming to Canada? I feel like I've heard you mention him before...

Keira said...

Tom Jones - so, so funny.
"He thumps the verdant ground with his carcass" is a sentence branded into my mind forever, and I laughed out loud at Molly's epic fight far longer than what is probably acceptable.

Also: guess I should have actually checked your blog before chastising you for not updating it ... I could have sworn I did.

Anonymous said...

#20...
...me to...