Monday, February 09, 2009

She probably lives in Tahiti

Bad weather breeds camaraderie.

Steady rain and temperatures hovering around zero have made sidewalks of Winnipeg are a virtual skating rink today. Walking to work took an extra 20 minutes because I had to do the straight leg shuffle most of the way. As I passed the other people silly or desperate enough to brave these condition, our eyes would meet, we'd share a smile and, in a few instances, an inane verbal exchange.

"Pretty bad out here, eh?"
"Yeah, it's sure not fun."

I'm not someone who likes strangers talking to me on the street. Growing up in Toronto I learned pretty quickly that talking to people on the streets was something only the craziest of the crazy did. To say hello to a stranger was an invitation to abduction or assault. But for some reason I found these acknowledgements comforting. It's like we were saying, "I know what you're going through. I'm going through it too, and we're going to be alright."

No comments: