Monday, November 30, 2009

I wanted to write something about the amazing Grey Cup victory this afternoon, but an accident with my dog has distracted me. It seems Oliver cut his eat on another dog's studded collar. According to my wife, blood was pouring out of the cut. She took him to the vet and he's in surgery now. There's a good chance he'll lose a bit of his ear and will have to wear a cone for a few weeks. Poor little guy.

Anyway, about the Grey Cup: after watching most of the pre-game stuff and the game (which was one of the best football games I've ever seen, not in terms of excellence of play but back and forth) I have two thoughts. First, the Roughriders beat themselves. Leave the miscue that resulted in the repeat kick aside for a second, Saskatchewan was unable to capitalize on a couple of key Montreal mistakes, particularly the 7 yard punt. When they needed to get a time-killing first down, they couldn't.

Second, the Montreal coach, Marc Trestman, is a stand up guy. From the pre-game speech to his team, to his candid comments before the second half, to his post-game speech, I was completely struck with his soft spoken humility and sportsmanship. Reminding his team that they're entitled to nothing and praising the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Trestman exuded class. Hotheaded Winnipeg coach Mike Kelly could and should take a page out of Trestman's book.

No comments: