Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Okay, so here I sit, alone in my new office at St John's College. Everything's in boxes and my co-workers are all out buying new things for their offices. Apparently the plan is that THEY get new stuff and I'm expected to cull what I can use from the stuff they no longer want. Wonderful. I'm supposed to be working but I think I have a good excuse for not. Someone's hanging pictures in the hall and because this old building is likely full of asbestos, they have to use this special vacuum whenever they drill into the wall. It's loud and makes concentrating difficult.
What else is new in my wacky little life? Well I got an email from an old high school friend. He was on his way to Winnipeg to teach a seminar and wanted to hook up. Though I was a little nervous about it, I went and had a great time. We're going to try to hang out later today, after he's done teaching and I'm done teaching. He's teaching managers about the importance of customer service; I'm teaching uninterested first years about Frankenstein. I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about.
I think my intial fear was that I'm quite different then I was in highschool and my interests were so different from my friends to begin with, now I'm afraid it would be like talking in different languages. Amazingly it was really fun to see Mike and talk, and not just about old times. Of course a lot of conversation was "whatever happened to..." stuff, but we did manage to relate on a more personal level, and I think, were we living within a reasonable distance, Mike and I would still hang out.
In other news, there is still one person in my life I simply don't know what to do with. Half the time (well, less now) she's open with me, sharing things about her life, but lately even getting a "hello" is an accomplishment. What brought about this change? Search me. It's stuff liek this that causes my anti-social tendencies to flare up.
I've been trying to write as well. And that seems to be going as well as everything else in my life. I have the ideas, I know where I want the story to go, but when I sit down nothing comes out. I suppose I just have to keep at it. I think this is a publishable book, if I can ever get it finished. I just have to believe in myself and all that malarkey.

No comments: