Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Let Me Clear My Throat

Everything's going to be all right now. "But we've missed you, Mike," you say. "Our lives just aren't as sunny without your aecerbic wit."


There, there, little ones. Daddy's home.


The past month or so has been particularly crazy. My parents came for a week-long visit (sans sister, who has expected and backed out at the last minute ofr reasons I don't want to get into) and to watch me graduate. They were also here for my most-excellent grad Party. So, rather than posting, my time was spent touring them around the city of Winnipeg. We hit the main attractions: the Forks, the Exchange, the UM. I was going to take them out to Steinbach to see the Mennonite Historical Village but the weather had other ideas.


The graduation was very nice - long but nice. The Governor General is an engaging speaker and I enjoyed the fact that she (long with my wife and mother) applauded every graduate who crossed the stage.
My parents left on the Sunday, and I turned around to visit them, so I could be there for my Dad's 60th birthday party (which was a surprise).
I had a nice time in Ontario and was able to visit with a few people (Jaimie; my goddaughter Del and Chris and Jenn; my highschool friends), but those trips home always seem so rushed. There's always a few more people I would have liked to see. I really would have liked to get to Waterloo and visit there, but there just wasn't time.
Since arriving back in Winnipeg, I've been to a farewell lunch for my wife (she's leaving her job at the end of this week) and have set about sorting and organizing all the crap from my UM Press office - what goes to my new office? what gets thrown out?

11 comments:

kar0ling said...

welcome back, Michael.

Rebs said...

MIKE!! I've missed you so...

I really have missed your acerbic wit...

jpunk5 said...

ya, i've missed your aerobic wit too!!

Dave said...

Everyday I checked your blog and everyday you let me down.

You are forgiven.

Tom said...

Dave: www.bloglines.com

Not everybody has feeds, but for those that do it's a lot faster than checking each individually...

I missed Mike, too...

Keira said...

I thought the asbestos had gotten to you . . . glad you're okay . . .

corrie said...

ummm... throw out the stuff you don't want and keep the stuff you do.

glad you're back...

Tom said...

wow... good advice. I'm moving soon, so I'm glad I heard that now rather than later

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting and waiting to see what new adventures you'd post so I'm glad that you're back! CONGRATS on graduating and I see you're getting a new office-ooo how nice!! Maybe there'll be room for us to sit comfortably now when I bother you during the days-assuming that you'll still be around in some faculty. What are your plans by the by? This is Amanda -if you were wondering

Unknown said...

Mike is Back. I didn't check every day, but at least every week. Glad to hear everything is going well. And you definitely need to make it to Waterloo next time to get an apple fritter - mmmmm apple fritter...

amphimacer said...

You clearly need this advice on throwing things out:

Since you can throw away your entire past,
Don't hesitate. Discard, discard it all!
Throw all your hoary textbooks in the hall,
Your papers out the window. Do it fast,
And when you think you've gotten to the last,
Look underneath the desk. You've heard the call:
Clean, clear, and ready for what's next. The wall
Has posters? Gone! There's been a mighty blast!

Explosions of old garbage! Say good-bye
To everything and everyone you knew
And everything that was a part of you,
Mere things, the former apples of your eye.
The life you used to lead is now a lie.
The emptiness ahead begins, on cue.