Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I was meant to tread these boards, of this much I am certain

So, I'm in a play.

I know I haven't updated at all since the new year and that I still have a couple of excellent fruit stories untold, but those shall have to wait. I am in a play.

It's a bit part. I mean, I'm on stage for a long time, but I only say one line. I'm not sure it's a particularly important line, but it's a line nonetheless. Most of the time I'm sitting in the in audience of the courtroom and try not to draw much attention to myself (oh, the play is To Kill a Mockingbird). Actually, I have two parts. One part is just a guy in a crowd (actually, "mob" would be more accurate). I'll have to do a superfast costume change and then I'm someone else.

When I finally get to say my one line I have to use a southern accent. I'm pretty good with British accents, but not so good with southern ones. I want to sound like Rhett Butler, but I'm afraid I'll end up sounding like Blanche from "The Golden Girls".

6 comments:

Tom said...

HAHAHAHAHA
Mike as Blanche
That's great

Anonymous said...

No Way! When does it open? And how long before you give up the mundane world of academia and head off for the bright lights of Broadway?

C. Miki

Michael said...

It runs Feb 21-23 (Thursday to Saturday). Performances are in Otterburne.

And 2 months, 7 hours and 37 minutes.

Jaimie said...

I love that you used that particular lyric. That was the first thing I though of when you told me about the play.

(And I will be replying to your email any day now. *grin*)

saran said...

Congrats! It looks like your love of the silver screen has moved onstage. I missed the major production last year, but hopefully I can remedy that this year. Happy rehearsals!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are in the play, Michael Boyce! I would miss you far too much if you weren't. :)