Thursday, September 12, 2002

A Monday Mission four days late...

1. Where were you and what was happening in your life the moment when you first became aware of what was happening at the World Trade Center in New York City last September 11th? What was the first thing you did when you heard the news?

Well, I was in class when it happened. I saw that the University had set up TVs around campus, but didn't stop to watch. It wasn't until I got home around noon that I realized what happened.

2. When those truly responsible for the attack are apprehended, what do you think would be the most fitting form of justice?

Hard question because how can we truly know who was responsible. The hijackers are dead, obviously, but what about any and all supporters? Is it even conceivable to imagine getting EVERYONE? If caught however, trial in an international court is the only possible way.

3. This will probably be much like when our parents respond to "Where were you when JFK was shot?"- an event never forgotten by those who were there. But how do you think the history books should present the 9-11 attacks? Should it be included for all future generations? How can we truly convey the shock, the outrage, the emotions and pain of that day to the children of our children?

Yes, it's history so it should be included, but I didn't think we can convey the full extent of the trauma. Younger people can't fathom what the death of JFK meant, just as people born after 9 11 won't be able to.

4. No one in that building, in the Pentagon, or on the planes (other than the terrorists) knew that 9-11 would be their last day to be alive. For me, it brought home the reality that I could be gone at anytime, without any warning. Now, I really want each day to have some value. Did the events of 9-11 bring about a change in the way you live your life?

I could say something like "it made me more appreciative of life" but that's not really true. It did for a little while but soon the routine returned as it always does. I don't think it changed my life all that much.

5. Several who loved to fly in planes will not step foot in one anymore. Many parents are more protective of their children. A year later, do you find yourself feeling more secure than back then? Or is it just a matter of time before something else happens?

I guess I never really thought we were that secure to begin with.

6. The best way for me to honor the those impacted by the attack will be to refrain from any media that day. No papers, no radio and especially no television. Others will light candles, and others will attend special services. What, if anything, will you do to personally reflect on the tragedy?

I don't know...

7. One of the visuals that touched me the most were the walls and walls full of hand made "Missing" posters. What image will you always have in your mind when you recall the events of 9-11?

The stories my mother told me about working at Ground Zero and the tireless efforts of the workers.

BONUS: Who's gonna come around when you break?

Who's gonna drive you home?

Comment question of the week: What's your favorite hand gesture?

I'm a big fan of the pisan chin-wav-off, but I think the bird will always have a special place in my heart

No comments: