Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Okay, I started this thing to write about film, but all I seem to do is answer surveys that no one cares about the answers to. So I suppose I should get around to the whole movie thing. I watched the Lady Eve last night (after my wife and her brother finished the Goonies - I was never a big fan of the Goonies). It still astounds me how Preston Sturges is able to come up with the most insane, hilarious introductions for his characters. In my opinion there is nothing funnier than Eugene Pallette coming down the stairs singing "For Tonight We'll Merry, Merry Be" in that wonderful foghorn voice of his.
Sturges also manages to make a lot out of a relatively simple plot. There's not much to the Lady Eve - boy meets girl, boy leaves girl, girl tricks boy, girl gets boy. The genius of the film lies in the dialogue, the supporting players (always toprate in a Sturges flm) and the performance Sturges is able to get from Henry Fonda.

No comments: