Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Why would you shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die? Surely there are better ways to spend an afternoon.

So, school's back in to full swing and I'm... well, flummoxed. Am I getting through to my students? Am I making sense? Is my fly down? I don't expect people to be as naturally excited by Old English Poetry or Joseph Conrad as I am, but sometimes I think that short of setting off firecrackers and throwing a parade, I'll never get their attention. The solution? Tell embarrassing personal stories, obviously. Today I related how I wrote a letter to a high school friend that said "Did I ever tell you I love you?" I meant it sarcastically. Apparently I was so naive that I actually thought that the intended sarcasm would be apparent in writing. It wasn't, and for the rest of high school this girl thought I was in love with her. Nothing major ever came out of it, other than a few awkward moments; never did have the heart to tell her. Can't remember how that fit into a conversation about Heart of Darkness. Probably didn't. I likely just wanted to tell humiliating stories about myself. Wait 'til my other class starts love poetry, and the pessimism really flies...

No comments: