Monday, November 28, 2005

Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer

Well, the weekend's finally over. Thank God for small miracles. Those of you "in the know" are aware that my wife's resignation was finally made public this past Sunday. It's been a whirlwind of mixed emotions: stress, relief, sadness. They've all been there and present at one point or another. Of course, I might feel differently, less relieved, if I hadn't spent most of Sunday hiding away from people, away from the questions and the whys and the whatnots.

Of course, the real kicker is that after a stressful weekend, I go to work today and it's utterly INSANE at the U of M Press. Apparently everyone in Manitoba, from places I've never even heard before, was trying to order books from us to beat, and I'm quoting here, "the Christmas rush." I was forced to criss-cross the campus a bunch of times (freezing, 'cause I'm too cool to wear a coat, let alone a hat or mittens), carrying huge boxes of books. Everytime I'd return to the office (with another 40 lbs box under my arm) I'd be handed one more order that "needed" to be filled. Like anyone, on Christmas morning, is going to thank Santa and their lucky stars that they got A National Crime: The Canadian government and the residential school system, 1879 to 1986 under the tree! If someone gave me that as a Christmas present, I'd kick them in their knee caps.

So, what else is going on?Well, I got a chance to watch the new Pride and Prejudice with the angelic Kiera Knightley. A solid adaptation, and I highly recommend it to fans of Austen.

"Smallville"... "Dawson's Creek" if Dawson could run really fast and had super strength. In other words: high addictive; like crack or pumpkin pie.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Why?? Whatnot?!

I am sad; I was sadder last night when I heard. You don't HAVE to tell me what the deal is, but...