Monday, March 27, 2006

And the girls down by the strip tease show go

This weekend I went to a monastery for four days of quiet and peace. And I learned something very important. Actually I learned all kinds of wonderful things, but I think the best, or at least the easiest to communiate to other peoples, was that I learned to join the "Slow Club."

You see, there's a boy named Joseph who created something he called the Slow Club when he was just 5 years old. Even at five this little boy realized that the world moved far too fast. People were always in a hurry; rushing here, rushing there. Deadlines, appointments. Joseph didn't think this was a good way to life one's life.

To join the Slow Club is apparently pretty simple: you need to slow down. Sounds easy, doesn't it?

Take your time.

Look at your surroundings.

Appreciate the things around you: the melting snow, the bugs, the trees.

Now I'm learning how to view walks not so much as functional things (getting from point A to point B) but adventures.

Wanna join?

Michael Boyce
co-president, Winnipeg Chapter

The Slow Club.
We'll Get There... eventually.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo oo I wanna join (just as soon as all these deadlines disappear...)

i thought you were joking about the monk thing.

jpunk5 said...

i love the slow club!! i heard about it a couple months ago from mark yacanelli. rock rock on!! i've been trying to be a member for a while, but it's tough to remember.

Michael said...

you mean you're SLOW to remember? sounds like you're doing fine!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to spend time at a monastary...seriously. I CRAVE time alone and slowing down. Somehow it seems like it's going to take more than my decision to make it happen, though. Maybe the end of the school year will help...

Michael said...

Marie: if you have a chance, do it.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious how the monastary thing works. Did you book in advance and pay a fee, or do you just show up and hang out for a few days?

T.

Michael said...

Well, I was there for a specific retreat - Sabbath. It was subsidized by some endowment and all we had to pay was $75 each. And I ate quite a bit more than $75 worth of food.
You can go up by yourself (you probably have to book ahead) and spend time there alone. I have no idea how much that costs or how far in advance you have to book, but I'm thinking about doing it this summer sometime. Here's the website though (yes, the monastery has a website!) http://www.mts.net/~stbens/