Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true

So, I screened Monty Python's Life of Brian in class today. Wasn't excommunicated or burned at the stake, so I'll take that as a good sign. Of course, my student evaluation was given about 30 minutes after the films ended so if they wanted to blast me as a heretic or blasphemer I suppose they had that outlet too. But the discussion about the film was quite productive. People who have hardly said word one spoke up. Maybe next year I'll just teach Monty Python films.

Also, I have discovered a rather serious flaw in the whole Slow Club thing. I don't know if this is going to be a "might-as-well-pack-SC-in" flaw, but it'll take some figuring out. What do I do with people who are going slower than I want to go? I was in the bookstore at Prov this afternoon and there was a herd of elderly people shuffling along at a snail's pace. Whenever I'd get to the end of an aisle, where I could change my course and take a different path, there was another old person, cane in hand, shuffling in front of me. They were everywhere. Now I'm trying quite hard to incorporate this whole "slow down and enjoy the journey", but behind these octogenarians it was more "stand stationary". Maybe I'm not cut out for the whole Slow Club.

I was doing quite well with it too. I took my time driving to work today. Instead of doing 120 km down the 75, I drove the speed limit. Instead of cutting down sketchy dirt roads, I drove all the way out to the 59 and took paved roads to Otterburne. Sure it took an extra 10 minutes, but who cares? I wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet of the car ride. And then I run into the old people! Perhaps I should just avoid nursing homes, flea markets and McDonalds in the day time.











Your Deadly Sins



Sloth: 40%

Envy: 20%

Greed: 20%

Lust: 20%

Gluttony: 0%

Pride: 0%

Wrath: 0%

Chance You'll Go to Hell: 14%

You will die while sleeping - and no one will notice.


No one will notice? Ouch. That's my biggest fear. Seriously. I mean, people forget about me and I'm still alive.

2 comments:

jpunk5 said...

Your Deadly Sins
Sloth: 60%
Gluttony: 20%
Greed: 20%
Envy: 0%
Lust: 0%
Pride: 0%
Wrath: 0%
Chance You'll Go to Hell: 14%
You will die while sleeping - and no one will notice.

Tom said...

I got sloth 100%... SHOCK!!