Friday, March 10, 2006

You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man

So, my misanthropic tendencies flared up the other day: I was waiting for a bus to take me downtown. Right before the bus pulled up, a class of about 20 Korean ESL students showed up out of nowhere. And they all had large cardboard stand-ups, like old science-fair projects displays. Their teacher, a frazzled-looking, hippie woman with large hoop earring and a babushka, tried to herd them towards the bus, "I hope we can all fit on." And fit on we did - if by "fit" you mean I got crammed between a pole and rather large (and rather smelly) man. What fun! (this is where I’d add the smiley face with the rolly eyes, if I knew how to do that here)

The bus was, sadly, not an express. There are about 10 stops between where I caught e bus and where I usually get off. I figured I'd be stuck next to smelly for a few stops, but that people would get off.

No one got off.

Lots of people got on.

I couldn't take it anymore. I got off a few stops early and, muttering under my breath, walked the rest of the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what does 'misanthropic' mean?

mis = mistake
anthro = anthropology> homo sapien sapien
pic = pick

so...picking humans was a mistake? God picked the wrong species to be the ones that take over the earth?

that's heretical.
are you a heretic?

i hope there's a different definition somewhere out there.

Michael said...

misanthropic: adj. 1) hating humans and human society.

Oh, I'm probably a heretic, but just a little one.