Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It's hard and I got harder

The half-hour walk to work has left me a sweaty, sticky mess. I really hope this afternoon's expected thunderstorms do something about this humidity. The way people talk, humidity is a relatively new thing in Manitoba, though complaining about the weather is as old as the hills.

Of course the sub-Arctic conditions in my office will likely give me pneumonia. I love how we compensate for the excessive heat by turning our homes and offices into meatlockers. And then, once February rolls around, we'll crank up the heat in those same buildings to compensate for the minus 40 weather outside. When you're inside you need a sweater in the summer and shorts in the winter... Yeah, that makes sense.

6 comments:

kimbee said...

Well we have been keeping out house a balmy 27.3 so that there would be no major shock to our systems...and because we are just so green.

kimbee said...

I get angry when I get this hot, and very melodramatic.

kimbee said...

In fact this is the first time I have had the energy to blog because our house has cooled to a nice 26.8.

corrie said...

I KNOW! I hate the temperature shock of walking into a cinema or grocery store or restaurant or... whatever.

Call me crazy but in the summer I would like to be able to recognize that it's actually summer. Even if it means sitting on my couch dripping for the three days of the year it's really that hot.

Jaimie said...

I have to keep a sweater and a pair of socks in my cubicle because my office is so cold in the summer. I also knit myself a lap blanket which I end up using almost every day, and have a space heater (which I try really hard not to use because it's so ridiculous to have to use a space heater in the middle of the summer).

I hate it. People in my office get sick all the time from having to deal with the temperature fluctuation between outside and inside, and everyone (except the president) is miserable.

At home, we haven't even put our air conditioners in. We've only had a couple of days that were really sweltering, and we remedied that with a trip to the pub.

Unknown said...

It's been a while since I've read a bitter Mike blog - very refreshing, probably similar to your office.