Thursday, July 19, 2007

Me Used to be an Angry Young Man

Well, it's Fringe time in Winnipeg once again.

I always enjoy the Fringe festival and try to see my share of plays. This year, as my work schedule is much more flexible than it has been in previous years, I'll likely get to a dozen or so plays. Last night I saw the first of those - Maxim and Cosmo by TJ Dawe. Dawe is a perennial favourite; his shows are always witty, insightful and very funny. This one is no exception. My only problem was the venue. Backstage at MTC has poor acoustics. I've seen Dawe is a number of different venues and know he can project, but people in the back row had trouble hearing him. If you go, try to sit close to the front.

I'm also REALLY looking forward to The Feel Goods (Venue 11) - and not just because my future sister-in-law wrote and stars in it. I saw a workshop reading of it a while ago, but apparently there have been some changes. Can't wait to see what they are.

UPDATE:

This afternoon I ducked out of the office and saw "The Problem," a wonderful absurdist piece that's playing at the air-conditioned Venue 10. A former student of mine, Jared Falk, is in it and, I must say, it's really good. It's a short play - only 25 minutes - so, if The Fringe isn't your thing or you're unsure about theatre in general, it's a minimal time commitment.

6 comments:

Keira said...

I'm planning to go to Fringe this year as well - probably won't get to it until next week though. What sort of tickets did you get? Last year I just bought individual tickets at the door which is probably a poor choice.

Michael said...

This year my wife and I got a buddy pass (and we'll likely have to get another one) and she has a frequent fringer pass too. Paying for individual shows only works if you're seeing a limited number of plays.

Tom said...

I heard her talking about The Feelgoods on the radio.

Michael said...

Didn't figure you for a CJOB man, Tom.

Tom said...

Music stations require too much switching, but occasionally I don't want to drive in silence

Rebs said...

I love the fringe
It's the one time of year that I really, really regret not having unlimited time and money...

I also love TJ Dawe - I'm very excited about the show.

you should check out my friend Simon's show - Voices in My Head - it's gonna be good.

I'm now inspired to start pouring over my fringe book