Friday, October 11, 2002

Okay, the world's just not exciting today. In fact, life kinda sucks. Had a rotten day on Wednesday - yelled at my class for being unresponsive - and I just can't shake this funk of depression. Weird. Haven't felt this way since highschool. Have found myself listening the Radiohead's High and Dry over and over again, which I haven't been able to do since a friend in university ruined that song for my by singning it incessantly!
On the plus side, I get to spend the holidays alone. My wife and brother-in-law are taking the eighties road show to Regina to visit their parents. I have committments in the city until Sunday and to drive out Sunday and turn around and come back Monday would kill me. To be honest, good riddance to the holiday. Maybe I'll just buy a pumpkin pie (the best thing about Thanksgiving anyway), order a pizza, curl up on the couch with a blanket and watch reruns of Golden Girls and Who's the Boss.
My film watching has been as eventful as my life. Started watching Dr. Strangelove but only got about half way through it when I was interupted and had to turn it off. I was reallly enjoying it and was completely amazed that I hadn't seen it before. I thought I had. It's one of those films that's just in the culture so purvasively. I starting watching and about ten minuntes in I realized I had no idea what was going to happen. Sure, I know the visuals (Slim Pickens riding the bomb) some jokes ("Gentlemen, you can;t fight in here. This is the War Room"), but the plot is completely fresh to me. I was actually excited when I realized this.
I've also been watching the Granada TV series The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, with Jeremy Brett. I got the complete first series on DVD and have watched the episodes in order. A remarkable series, these shows set the cliches about Holmes aside (the brown checked deerstalker and the large curved pipe) and treat the stories with dignity and respect - as much as I like Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, his films, particularly the depiction of Waston, is hardly respectful to the source. I also have a number of episodes from the other series (Return, Casebook, Memoirs) on tape from about 8 years ago and have been watching them. Especially now, with Max Headroom's version of Holmes airing every few weeks (complete the costume and an upper-class twit accent), it's good to go back to Brett and see the true complexities of the character.
Enough... be gone.

No comments: