Monday, June 06, 2005

1) Total number of books owned:
Oh, boy. We just bought three large bookcases (to go along with three other large bookcases) in the past few months and there are still books piled up in closets. Both Rachel and I did English degrees, so we have TONS of books. Plus, one of the main perks of teaching is the free books,so I'm always getting more.

2) The last book I bought?
Hmmm, I guess the last one I bought was a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus from Amazon.

3) The last book I read?
I'm in the middle of both Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and Vile Bodies. The last one I finished was Handful of Dust.

4) Five books that mean a lot to me?
1) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - a magical book I reread often (and fondly)
2) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - few authors have captured how horrible it can be to be a teenager
3) Catcher in the Rye - see #2
4) High Fidelity - if I'm honest with myself, I'm far more like Rob than I would ever want to admit
5) On the Road - in another life, I wish I could be Jack Kerouac

Comic Books:
1) Maus - without question, the most powerful comic ever written
2) Dark Knight Returns - Batman in Regan's America; brillant
3) Crow - when I first read it (well before the film) it was unique
4) Ghost World - one of the first "non-superhero" comics I read and it showed me the potential of the medium.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

two things:

1) did you gak this from me?
2) I have yet to read On The Road - I'm afraid it might drive me to sell all of my things and wander around aimlessly.

Michael said...

1) Yes, I stole it from you...shamelessly. Oops.

2) It would have been best to read it when you're young (and have few possessions to sell and can stay up late to wander aimlessly), but I highly recommend it.