Thursday, July 28, 2005

Slicing through life like a samurai sword

So the Fringe is on.

One of the great joys of living in Winnipeg (there are a few) is the annual Fringer Festival. Hundreds of performers descend upon the city for 10 days of plays. Rachel usually takes that time as her vacation and watches plays all day for ten days. I've never been so lucky. Being a grad student and sessional instructor means you have to work when you can. I try to take in as many plays as I can, but this year, with the pressures of studying for comps, I've only seen one. But what a one.

I always catch TJ Dawe's shows at the Fringe. He's both funny and witty (not the same thing); he's more an essayist or stoy teller than a playwright. Anyway, I'm very glad I went. It was about the time Dawe worked as a bartender in England. Having been in England recently, I could relate to a lot about what he said about the differences in words and meaning. There's something SO, SO wrong with asking people where the toilet is. You say washroom, and they stare at you like you have two heads. Freaky Brits.

So I'm cat sitting... not sitting on cats, mind you, but there was that rather close call last night. Our across the street neighbours are on vacation and asked if we could watch their two cats. Not being a cat person, having never even owned a pet larger then a small rat, I, of course, said: "sure glad to." Actually they're really good cats, not aloof and uninterested like so many I have encountered over the years. They follow me around the house, sit with me while I watch tv or read... maybe they're just making sure I don't steal anything. Who knows. But, I guess as long as I remember to feed them twice a day, everything will be good.

No comments: