Friday, July 15, 2005

There's no place I can be, since I found serenity

It all started with Angel.

Rachel bought season 5; I was curious/bored/whatver and watched it. Intriqued by a quirky little drama about a vampire and his demon-slaying sidekicks, I agreed to start the series over, watching from season one... but, I insisted, no Buffy. Silly me.

After about a million questions about some of the Buffy-related history of the Angel characters, I, head hung down in shame, relented: I will watch Buffy. And, know what? I like it! Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

This week we took a break from our favourite vampire slayer to watch yet another Joss Whedon show: Firefly. Learning a little bit from the past, I did not fight watching this show.

Firefly is some seriously good television, people. It's sci-fi, and I know that's not everytone's cup of tea, but this is sci-fi at it's best: no silly aliens, no techno-jargon, just solid story telling and strong, interesting characters. It's a shame that crap like Home Improvement or Everybody Loves Raymond can run for millenia, but a smart, thoughtful show like Firefly gets cancelled before a full season is up. Come on; even Joanie Loves Chaci got a season! Althoug there are many loose ends left by the show's urupt cancellation, fear not: there's a movie (rumoured to be the first of three) coming out this fall.

Listening to: the soft hum of the fan and 'Round About Midnight by the Miles Davis Quintet. There are few things in the world better than a Miles Davis solo.

No comments: