Thursday, October 06, 2005

Maybe it's the 12 cups of coffee...

I'm having a Linus moment; you know, one of those "what's the real spirit o' the holidays" things. You see, it's Thanksgiving up here in the Great White North (and in this part of the North it actually is white today). Now we don't have the cultural (and emotional) baggage that the Americans have about this holiday: no Purtians with those amusing belt buckles, no maize, no Indians we later screwed out of everything. Oh we screwed the Indians, all right; we just tended to be a little more subtle about it, is all. Were I an American, I would have real problems with Thanksgiving.

But I'm a Canadian and I rather like the holiday. And what's not to like? Turkey: good! Stuffing: good! Pumpkin pie: GOOD!!!! Food aside though, what's Thanksgiving all about?

"Giving thanks, Mike. You moron. It's right there in the name of the holiday," you're probably thinking to yourself.

And yes, you're right. It is. But do we do it?

So, who are you thankful for? Do they know it? I tend not to assign homework here, but I challange you to let the people who matter most to you know that you're thnakful for them.

Maybe we could start a thing, with signs and T-shirts.... All right, on second thought that sounds like too much trouble. Let's stick to the telling thing. We'll accessorize later, if we need to.

No comments: