Monday, September 18, 2006

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more

I think I had my closest experience with parenthood this afternoon: trying to help my boss move all his files from his old computer to his beautiful new Imac. And I, with my old can't-even-burn-a-bloody-cd Imac, got to do most of the work.

Like a child, my boss has his own bizarre method of filing programs and documents. Like a parent, I had to figure it out on my own. Like a child he found something else to occupy his time while I went to work figuring out which of the 4 versions of Eudora had his current email settings. Like a parent, I came REALLY close to slapping his hands a few times when he was doing something he shouldn't have been. And once, just once, I considered putting him in time out to think about what he'd done.

I'm pretty sure this is what being a parent is all about: telling someone the same thing five or six times, fully aware that they're probably not listening to you; being interrupted every five minutes to solve a problem that seems earth shakingly complicated; the mixed emotions - frustration and amusement - when they look up at you and exclaim, "We did it!".

And this is why I don't want children.

By the way: this is my 300th post...


...and the crowd goes wild.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoo 300! congrats

did he sit on your lap and cry because he's not smart enough to figure things out without your help? did he hug you and look up at you with big amazement- and wonder-filled eyes and say 'thank you's and 'i love you's?

kids are great :)

Rebs said...

I think that's only a small part of the reason that children scare me...at least you wouldn't have to carry them around for 9 months like a parasite.
*shudders*

perhaps one day the 'clock' will start ticking and my feelings will change...but I doubt it.

congrats on the posting - the crowd did go wild...I heard them!

Michael said...

Abby: No. But he might have wet his pants.

Rebs: I think you heard something else. But: children = parasite, I like your thinking!