Wednesday, September 20, 2006

pray for rain

In an effort to do a few more things together, Rachel and I signed up for Tai Chi class at the local community centre. Frankly, Tai Chi was her idea, but I agreed without (much) grumbling. It's not that I didn't want to do anything with my wife, it's that she's, well, coordinated. She likes dancing and aerobics; she takes these complicated excerise clases with names like "Step" and "Jazz".

I am rhymically challenged. That might be a bit of an understatement. At dances or parties, when I went to such things, I was much more comfortable leaning against a wall while other people "got down." While I am a relatively intelligent young man, the idea of moving different parts of my body at different times in time to music freaks me right out. And it is in this frame of mind that I headed to Tai Chi class. Words cannot describe how utterly spastic I can be. I once made my primary librarian swear while trying to teach me to waltz for my part in The Sound of Music. My biggest fear as we walked up the street to the centre: being asked not to return the class as my uncoordinated movements are making the other students "feel bad."

Turns out I was just being over sensitive. Not that I was amazing or even good, but there were a couple of people who looked far more spazzy then I did. In fact, there were two people I was surprise even FOUND the community centre.

We only learned two real movenments ( a Tai Chi set has 190 odd moves) and a couple of warm up exercises called... I want to say Gung Ho, but I know that's not right. The first movement was fairly straightforward and I was feeling pretty good. The second movement was... not straightforward. The instructor demonstrated it once and the class just looked at each other, all except the two who I was surprised found the centre. They were looking at their shoes for some reason.

Next week will be the real test; Rachel can't go (she has a meeting) so I'll have to go and look silly all by myself. I suppose as long as I'm not put in a group with the forementioned "winners" I'll be okay.

10 comments:

Rebs said...

Oh! I've done tai chi before - it's fun! I used to do it with my mummy...I should do that again sometime...

Rebs said...

you can't actually be as uncoordinated as you are. it's just the self consciousness talking.
really, everyone can dance

Rebs said...

correction: as you THINK you are.

typing too fast for my fingers.

Tom said...

speaking of coordination...

Cheryl said...

now this I cannot picture

Michael said...

Me doing Tai Chi? Or Rebs typing too fast for her fingers?

Cheryl said...

I can definitely pciture rebekah typing too fast for her fingers.

You doing Tai Chi, I'm actually wondering how in the world Rachel convinced you to do it

Michael said...

I do Tai Chi very spastically.

I'm not sure how she talked me into it either.

Rebs said...

umm..Cheryl, I'm not sure what that means, but I'm choosing to resent that remark.

just so you know.

Michael said...

I find it's just easier if you resent all of Cheryl's remarks. That's what I do.