Friday, January 05, 2007

A junk yard fool with eyes of gloom

Happy 12th Night, friends! This is it, the twelfth day of Christmas, kiddies. I hope you all get your twelve drummers drumming. I mailed them on Monday.

"The Office" continues to be the best show on American television. The past few episodes (one penned by original Office creators, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant; another directed by Harold Ramis) have been the smartest, funniest of a very funny season. Last night's was no exception. The show is smart, funny, and, most importantly, radically different type of sitcom. The scene of Pam crying in the hall almost killed me, but crystalizes what I love so much about the show. The writers have enough faith in the audience to leave the subtext of the scene as subtext. There was no overt explanation for her crying, no talking head segment "I was sad because..."

I just found out that one of my co-workers at the UM Press has become addicted to the show. In the words of Tommy, "'come to my lair' said the spider to the fly."

Listening to: Beta Band's "Dry the Rain" on repeat. Spray on dust IS the greatest thing.

9 comments:

Rebs said...

yes! I love the office!! unfortunately, I'm still stuck back in last season, with the cliffhanger confession of love...awww. I love Jim.
I'll see this season sometime next year probably.
I'd like to see the british one sometime - do have those on dvd?

Michael said...

And I love Pam.

I do have the British version. When I am finished my PhD (so freakin' close) it can be the new Firefly!

Tom said...

Okay, I wasn't going to say anything when only Roslyn had written it, but since I'm now being quoted a second time...

'Come into my parlour,' said the spider to the fly.

That's what it is. It's from something, or it's very old, or both; I dunno, but it's a specific saying and shouldn't be corrupted.

Umm... that is all.

Tom said...

In other news, Veronica Mars is already in line to be the new Firefly, except that we stopped watching it due to holidays, disappearances, people falling behind and (most importantly) not everyone being in on the idea of watching DVDs all the time.

Not that I mind switching, or running them concurrently, or whatever... I'm just sayin' is all

Tom said...

...and by 'in on' I mean 'okay with' or 'interested by'...

...overposting over

Dave said...

Exactly.

Anonymous said...

you need a new post.

Michael said...

Ask and you shall receive, dear Abby.

Mari said...

My drummers haven't come yet. Stupid Canada Post! It takes so long for things to get here from Manitoba.