Thursday, May 15, 2003

Thought I'd add a little bit of colour to The Not Very Exciting World of Mike. Perhaps my readers (both of them?) will dig the new look. Must keep the peeps happy.

Over the summer I hope to write more entries here. I won't go so far as to "vow" to write more, 'cause more likely than not, it's not gonna happen. Why lie? I intend to write more though. So take comfort in that.

I saw Adaptation over the weekend and I must say, this was one of the most interesting, inventive films out there. As someone deeply connected to both literature and film, I'm often stuck by the problem of adapting novels or short stories into film. Most people give the obligatory "The book was better" response, but fail to take into consideration the very real problem of transferring something from one genre to another. Charlie Kaufman's script about his own inability to turn _The Orchid Thief_ into a film deals with this problem in an interesting and, not to be too sentimental about it, endearing way.
A lot of the older people in the audience I saw the film with were understandably confused by the caper-ish ending of the movie, but the statement is poignant nonetheless: people enter the movie theatre with expectations.

No comments: