Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I want to be adored

Right. It was a stupid day at work. When my boss showed up with his 8 year old daughter and said, "Mike, you get to entertain her today" I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not (he was, it turns out, though I did have to install her Arthur on one of the work computers to keep her busy).

I also had to go into one of our author's office to try to find some file he supposedly emailed us back in January. His office is only a few doors down, and he's been sick for months. I'm sure I was the first person in that room since May. And clearly he had no premonition of his illness - there was a used syringe lying on the desk, the coffee pot was filled with moldy coffee (which I know from experience takes a long time for regular coffee without cream to go). Then my boss handed the cell phone to me so that this 400 year old author could talk me through his computer, which, let me tell you, is not a good way to spend your time. He kept describing things that weren't there (some other explorer icon on the desktop? - I found two, neither of which did what he said it would do). In the end I did I search for all word documents and went through them, one by freakin’ one. Good times.

4 comments:

Rebs said...

syringe????!!

happen to work with any drug addicts?

Michael said...

I know this guy enjoyed "mowing the lawn" back in the sixties, but I believe this would be insulin or some old person thing. Still, syringe = yuck.

Tom said...

Yikes. That is an awful day. I doubt they are paying you enough.

Tom said...

Yikes. That is an awful day. I doubt they are paying you enough.