Monday, June 19, 2006

And the Sunday shines down on San Francisco Bay

I made the mistake of dating myself the other day. I met a friend's boyfriend after hearing about the poor guy for the better part of a year.
"So, you really do exist," I said. "I was beginning to think this was a Snuffleupagus thing."
I was met with a confused "Snuffleupaguses aren't real?" from my friend... And then I realized how things change.

See, when I watched Sesame (back in the 70s) Big Bird was the only person on the block who saw Snuffy. The adults would constantly (and conveniently) walk out of the room just as Snuffy appeared, teaching an entire generation of children frustration and disappointment. I'll never forget the episode that a sleepwalking Snuffy was spotted by Bob, but, alas, Snuffy had a sheet over his head (at least I think he was sleeping, maybe he was on his way to Klan rally) and Bob's description of a "big, white creature" didn't match up with Big Bird's friend. This same bait and switch technique was also employed on the Canadian hit "The Polka Dot Door" with the elusive Polkaroo. The main difference, however, was that the one host who stepped out actually believed in the existence of the Polkaroo and was disappointed not to have seen it... him... whatever the heck it was supposed to be.

Snuffy wasn't seen until 1985. I don't know if the Polkaroo was ever seen. When Snuffy's existence was finally revealed to the other characters it had something to do with abuse and child molestation, children not keeping secrets, or hanging around with hairy elephants or something... the 80s were a particularly paranoid time and, clearly, imaginary friends were not to be trusted.

But the whole Snuffleupagus thing got me thinking how much better my Sesame Street was then the Sesame of Street of later years.

We didn't have Elmo, a hyperactive plush toy with a speech impediment. Seriously, if Sesame Street is meant to teach children, what's the lesson with Elmo? Talk like a baby and people will think it's cute? We were happy to have Oscar, a green sock living in a trashcan.

We learned about death when Mr. Hooper died in 1982. Poor Mr. Hooper.

Luis and Maria? So the two Hispanic characters have to get married? When I watched Sesame Street Maria was hot for David, a black man who... actually just disappeared from the show.

There was no ambiguity as to Bert and Ernie's relationship. Grown men could be friends and roommates without labels and accusations.

Ah, simpler times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, and what about it being called a park now instead of a street. how horrifing when that came about...

Michael said...

Oh, don't even get me started on the whole "park" thing!