Thursday, June 08, 2006

Smack, crack, bushwacked

I threw my back out today. I'd like to say that it happened when I was doing something cool - lifting weights or saving small children from a burning building. Truth is it happened while I was refolding and straightening a blanket in the living room. I had just folded it all neat and pretty and set it over the new armchair; when I leaned over to smooth it out, my back spasmed and my legs went dead. It was like they just stopped working, like my nerves gave out on me. I went down, falling face first into the seat of the chair. I tried for minutes that seemed like hours to straighten out and stand up. Evenutally I made it to couch, where I could lay flat out. The next hour or so was fighting to stand, walk, sit, reach... I got a heating pad, I swallowed pills. Walking required carefully balancing on the wall, the counter and backs of chairs. I couldn't bend over to pick up the remote once I'd made it back to the living room. I couldn't reach for my drink once I sat down.

It's been getting better all night. I've continued with the heat and the pills. I've stretched. I sat in the chair that started the whole (so it knew that I didn't hold it responsible) and watched television. I can move pretty well now. It still hurts, but walking doesn't demand the same forethought. I can do it under my own power... it just takes a little more time than usual.

1 comment:

Tom said...

That is rough, my man! I forbid you ever to do that again.