Sunday, June 25, 2006

It's not a love, it's not a love, it's a love song

As Cindy Lauper said, "Confusion is nothing new."

I find people genuinely confusing. I mean, I'm not a stupid person, I don't think, but shouldn't I be able to figure out people's likely moods and attitudes based on previous conversations and encounters? I mean, if someone almost falls off their bike waving to you one day, is it unreasonable to assume they'll, I don't know, talk to you, treat you human, another day?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not looking to overthrow the social order and have everyone be my friend; I'm not trying to thrust myself in the popularity spotlight: I just want a little consistency. Example: with my wife's 2 month stress-leave sabbatical, I won't see a whole group of people. You think telling tell people "won't see you until August" might have registered something a bit more profound than the "Oh, really?" I got.

Meh, whatever. So, it's full speed ahead on the thesis. My advisor seems to really like where I'm taking this whole project. He's been amazing with the encouragement and the suggestions. I not only feel good about it, I don't even have a sense of dread. The last conversation left me excited. For the first time in a long time I felt like I was doing something exciting and interesting. For the past few months whether people ask what I'm writing about I feel like I'm going to put myself to sleep describing it. Right now I feel pumped. Well, as pumped as I ever feel.

5 comments:

Tom said...

Well you know, when I left for Japan I went a little crazy over how long I'd be gone... it took someone telling me straight-on before I remembered that a month is really not that long a time. I've missed talking to people for a month just on accident, never mind for a good reason. Two months is twice as long, yes... but it's not forever, right? Expecially seeing I've got this blog to help me keep tabs on you. ;)

jpunk5 said...

i've been mentally preparing myself for a couple of months now with the fact that we won't really be seeing you for two months. that's helped me quite a bit. of course it will suck, but you guys need and deserve a break, with the added "bonus" of not seeing a whole portion of friends. we will miss you...see you at the end of august...but talk to you here...

Michael said...

It is rather ironic that (the) two I didn't mean read this and responded. I know YOU guys love me!

jpunk5 said...

phew!!

Tom said...

Heheh. Good. :)