Monday, June 05, 2006

Something won't let me make love to you

I still don't know what I think about X-men 3. I see the agruments of people who hated it (and I agree with them too), but I also see why people would love it. I still think I enjoyed it, but I'm learning not trust myself.

I finally finished Season 6 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer this weekend and started Season 7. Season 6 was like a kick in the gut, but a good kick in the gut. Beloved characters left or died or turned all veiny and apocalyptically evil. Now I've seen some of Season 7 already - we purchased them out of order, for a reason that's simply too long and conviluted to explain here, and I started with what we had - but I hadn't seen the first episode of that season. While Season 7 episode 1 of Buffy sets up some of the themes and the main villain for the rest of the season, in one of the greatest bits of Buffy, the new "big bad" becomes all the big bads from previous seasons - Adam, the Mayor, Gloria, Drusilla and, best of all, the Master - revealing itself to be the source of all evil. As these other villains were manifestations of this First Evil, this First manifests as them.

In the story Buffy returns (with her younger sister) to the highschool (now rebuilt) where the series began. Seeing a confident, mature Buffy walking the hallways of Sunnydale High made me realize just how good this show was. To effectively transition characters from highschool to adulthood so well is unheard of. I can't think of another show that managed to do this. Welcome Back Kotter, Saved by the Bell, even Degrassi all fall short of taking teenagers into their twenties and beyond while maintaining a certain quality.*










*I realize that the word "quality" is rarely used in relation to either Welcome Back Kotter or Saved by the Bell.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back kotter is quality! very few people remember that show.

Michael said...

While I like the first season or two, the post-Barbarino episodes are absymal. The introduction of Beau (a southern hick in New York City? WTF?), the Horshack marriage, Freddie almost getting a record deal: POOP!