Wednesday, March 14, 2007

But if you fall you fall alone

It was 2:20 in the morning. I was lying in bed looking at my clock, knowing that I had to get up in a few short hours...

I was total and complete toast today. Seriously. I have no idea if anything I said in class any made sense. I kept talking and talking. I'm pretty sure what I said was all in English, but I might have slipped into utter gibberish at times, who knows?

At the break a student came to talk to me and I just couldn't function at all. I was distracted by my notes, the computer, an odd stain on the desk. I kept trying to end the conversation, but couldn't. When she finally left, I went to the faculty lounge and sat in a big comfy chair.

8 comments:

Keira said...

So I was with the college singers for their reading week tour, and thus I got acquainted with a mass of freshmen. (Who are hilarious and nearly always hopped up on candy.) But several of them are in your class and they totally love you. And that Importance of Being Earnest reading has become somewhat of an epic.

As for stains, I know I have been seriously distracted from conversations by stains before. Some stains simply command your attention. (Or perhaps I'm easily distracted)

Michael said...

I'll refrain from asking which freshmen you're referring to, although my ego CRIES OUT FOR RECOGNITION!!! (that's a joke - I have very little ego).

It's funny. Kara was saying today she that she figured I had a group of Mike-ites in the college. I know I have at least one at Booth (and I'm looking at you Dave). I, of course, dismissed the idea.

I definitely see the hopped up on candy thing. Some of them seem a littlw wild-in-the-eye and fidgety. Actually I'm a little scared one of them might "go off" during class.

Rebs said...

you should have just glowered at her until she took the hint and left. or perhaps fallen asleep while she was talking.

hmm...hopped up on candy eh? can't say as I've ever experienced that.

Jeremy said...

candy doesn't hop people up, you're thinking of goofballs

Keira said...

Oh, it does. I have observed similar behaviour in my nieces and nephews.

Unknown said...

I think I'm with Kara Mike. You could start an uprising with your followers

Michael said...

An uprising against what, Mandy? Valentine's Day? That's really the only thing I've ever expressed a strong opinion about in class.

Tom said...

annexing the college would probably be a realistic goal... everyone's life would be better with you in charge... you'd be doing them a favour, right? bwahaha