Monday, March 05, 2007

I can't get used to this lifestyle

I wish, wish, wish that I had something interesting to write today. The truth is it was a painfully dull weekend. The only real highlight was making my friend Roz say bad words while we were playing Connect 4. That was pretty awesome.

Other than that, it was just a couple of DVDs (Flowers of St Francis and some episodes of "Freaks and Geeks"), some reading (finished the hilarious Ascent of Rum Doodle) and not much else. Now that I'm finished Rum Doodle, I'm going to start on A Question of Upbringing, the first novel in Anthony Powell's 12 novel cycle, Dance to the Music of Life. I read the first few pages this afternoon and it seems like it'll be an interesting read. It begins with the narrator reflecting on the past and memory, much like Marcel Proust begins Memories of Things Past. Powell was considered the greatest writer by several writers I think are pretty great (Evelyn Waugh for example).

EDIT:
I can't tell if my throbbing headache is from too much caffeine or not enough. Whatever the cause of this head splitting pain, the effect has been detrimental to my work this afternoon. All I want to do is shut off the florescent lights and place my head on my desk, like I was a child in school again. Regardless of this discomfort, the day's almost over. I suppose I can last a few minutes more.

7 comments:

Rebs said...

umm...are you calling playing boggle with me 'dull'???

i'm hurt.

Michael said...

Well, boogle's boogle. Spending time with you wasn't dull, but that excitement was counteracted by the extreme dullness of Boogle.

You're not hurt. You're Rebs.

Did you roommate love the cover of that book?

Tom said...

Boogle?!?!

What did Roslyn say??

Michael said...

I'm refusing to spell it correctly as a statement.

Roslyn only said, "Ah dammit" - but it was is church, so I'm considering it on the same level as if she had said sh*t.

Rebs said...

my roommate DID love that cover.

I think it was something like "oh, that's terrible"

I can't believe that's her 'recommended reading'.

BOOGLE!!!

Rebs said...

ps. I don't think that YOU misspelling something can ever be 'a statement', considering the frequency.

just sayin' is all

Roz said...

BOOGLE! There's a lot of mispelling happening on this comment page.
I'm so happy that I was your one highlight! I mean I'm used to being a beacon of light in people's otherwise dreary existence, but it's just nice to hear it sometimes.