Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Well, it's Wednesday... and it's raining.

Blah day. hope summer comes soon, 'cause this crappy weather is really getting me down.

I'm waiting for a shipment of books here at work, and there's nothing really to do until they come so I thought I'd take a bit of time and blog.

So, what's new? The new Star Wars movie comes out tonight at midnight, and I must say I'm surprised by how much I want to see it. Like most people my age I was a huge fan of the original trilogy. I remember going to see Star Wars/Empire double bills back in 82. My friends and I would play Star Wars, most of us had the toys (in fact I think I still have a box of them in my parents' attic). When the first of the new trilogy opened I went with great excitement and expectations... they were quickly dashed. Have you seen the Simpsons' Star Wars spoof, where Homer, Bart and Lisa go to the new Space movie and it's all about politics and trade embargos? That's EXACTLY what i thought of Episode One. Tariffs? Intergalactic captialism? Boring. Sure some of the Jedi stuff was cool - by that time Special FX made the sword fights even more spectular - but on the whole I was extremely disappointed.

When I got back from seeing Episode One, I put on my letterboxed Star Wars (the pre-Special Edition) and... was disappointed once again. The first Star Wars movie just isn't that good either. The acting is... well, it's not always great (Luke's just a whiny snot-nosed kid); and by this time I realized that the plot was just lifted from old Flash Gordon flicks and Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortess.

Not long after this I sold my leatherette bound letterboxed set with hologram cover.

After reading a few reviews of Episode three, my interest was peaked. Part of my problem with Episode One was that it felt like a kid's film, as opposed to a PG action film. Everything I've read about Episode 3 stresses the darkness of the plot. Perfect. I can only hope Jar Jar Binks is disembowelled by someone.

I watched Empire and Jedi this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed them. Empire's still my favourite of the films, but Jedi has some nice stuff in it (aside from the innocently erotic Leia bikini scenes). If Three is the new trilogy's Empire, they're on the right track.

Listening to: Tom Waits' Tango til They're Sore
Watched Last Night: House MD - easily one of my favourite shows currently running.
Tonight: Alias!

No comments: