Tuesday, May 31, 2005

All right, hip cats and cool ladies: I'm disparaging the lack of accomplishment in my life. Before I tuned into Veronica Mars (which has the potential to be a new favourite) last night, I flipped past Fear Factor (which I never watch) and there was someone I went to high school with. Not only that but it was a "best winners" episode - so she's already been on once and won. She's a celebrity trainer out in LA now; she "trains" Queen Latifah, which was suspiciously mentioned prominently by host, Joe Rogan. This got me to thinking: what, if anything, have I done with my life? Sure I've taught a few classes here in there, some of which were successful, some of which weren't; I've watched a bunch of movies; I've made consider progress on the Mike-shape ass groove in my couch. But nothing big. Not that I consider eating pig rectums or jumping off a moving truck or whatever the hell else people do on Fear Factor an "accomplishment," but there's an undisputable, tangible success that comes from being on television.

Listening to: Public Enemy's "Fight the Power," before that "We Used to be Friends" by the Dandy Warhols.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mostly unrelated, have you heard any of Joe Rogan's stand-up?

It's in very poor taste, but is exceptionally funny.

Michael said...

Actually I have. He's somehow connected the company of the late, great Bill Hicks, Sacred Cow. Though he's no where near the comic Hicks was, Rogan has my utmost respect for continually publicly slamming Dennis Leary for ripping of Hicks' act.

Anonymous said...

Excellent posting mike : ) I hope that people that I lose contact with think of me as much cooler then (even though I am pretty cool now).

Michael said...

Well, you are pretty cool.