Wednesday, December 13, 2006

But ya' gotta shout and ya gotta swing out

The Swing and Big Band Christmas album I was listening to in the car today might be the toe-tappin'est Christmas Album I own. While "Fairytale of New York" is the greatest Christmas song ever written, the version of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" might be the most fun.

Just thought I'd share that. Don't really have much more to say on the subject.

My new favourite expression? "Oh, kitten." I can't thankmy new favourite colleague, Kara, enough for bringing it to my attention. I can't remember who uses it, but I'm taking it over. It's to be employed when someone says something stunningly naive or innocent or fabrication and you (don't) want to crush their little bubble of reality. Ideally, you'd also pat/pet the person's head while saying it. For example, a student told me today that writing my exam was "a lot of fun." On the outside, I smiled and nodded. On the inside? "Oh, kitten."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do realize that what goes around, comes around, right? someone's going to "oh, kitten" you.

Michael said...

I'm pretty sure Kara did today when I dropped the cookies in the staff lounge.

Anonymous said...

how many cookies did you drop?

Michael said...

A couple? A couple of couples? *shrugs*

Anonymous said...

...did you drop all of the cookies?... :O

Jaimie said...

I like "aww, muffin" when someone is being particularly whiny.

Rebs said...

Jaimie, you stole that from me! I want my condescending phrase back!

Alright, alright....I’ll share.

Michael said...

"Oh, kitten."

Tom said...

I heard it somewhere else entirely many moons ago. I was going to suggest it here as well, but I prefer to use it on people who are whining rather than the naïve. As such, in my world the two can live side by side