Thursday, December 07, 2006

What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?

Well, classes are over for another year. I have a mountain of marking, an exam to write, give and mark, and then I can enjoy the holiday season. To that end, Rachel put up one of our Christmas trees.

I say "one," because we actually have two. We have a traditional tree that's a little too big for our current apartment; we also have Tinsely. Tinsely was put up this year for the very first time.

I'm generally not crazy about aluminium Christmas trees (nightmares of the over-commerialized tree lot Charlie Brown visits), but Tinselly has sort of grown on me. This past week Rachel and I have spent the evenings watching Christmas specials on DVD and basking in Tinsely's Christmas magic. It's certainly better than no Christmas tree (which was what we decided last year).

In other news: we've also spent the last week basking in the death throes of our fridge. On Sunday the fridge started making strange noises, sometimes sounding like a whimpering puppy, other times like a car trying to turn over. Since Monday the sounds been pretty consistently on par with a kettle whistling. But tomorrow a new fridge is on its way. The benefits of renting? Broken fridge: not our problem! The landlords went out Monday and bought us a new fridge.

Finally, there's been a minor development in the plagarist story. As it's an on going thing, I'm not comfortable giving details, but I will say this: "pathetic excuse" has been re-defined. Seriously, in all the cases of this I've had in my career, I have yet to hear a convincing excuse: "I handed in the wrong paper," "I forgot a works cited," "My friend helped me, it must have been her!" How stupid do people think their professors are? I would be more willing to cut slack to someone who came to see and said something like "I screwed up. I tried to take a shortcut and got caught. I'm very sorry." Lame excuses make it so much worse. Not only did they think they duped me by passing in someone else's work, but when I call them on it they try to dupe me again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

“I really can’t stay...” have you been listening to this one a lot lately?
I LIKE tinselly. He/she/it is cute. (It looks kinda male to me, but I’ll let you decide on that one) I also like the multitude of presents around tinselly.
I myself am not the world’s best student. Whenever my excuses have been valid, but would have sounded lame, I just didn’t bother trying to explain. But then again, I’ve never plagiarised either. My theory is, if you can’t hack the consequences, it’s best to decide not to do it.

Michael said...

Yes, I have. The Leon Redbone/Zooey Deschanel version (from Elf). I love Redbone and wish he'd sing every Christmas song.

Keira said...

I could totally see there being an animated Christmas story about Tinsely.

Michael said...

Tinsely: the Shiny Toiletbrush of Christmas!

Roz said...

I like your tinsley tree. I think I should get a christmas tree for my place this year. Make it all festive and crap. Although I usually just go home for christmas (usually as in that's what I did last year). But I don't know if they'll have me this year cause they're renovating.
Wow, just thinking outloud on your blog, hope you don't mind