Sunday, April 08, 2007

If love is a red dress, well, hang me in rags

What does Easter mean to me? Chocolate bunnies and violent movies. I spent this Easter afternoon in my local multi-plex theatre watching Grindhouse and I was NOT disappointed.

My friend Chris over at Wrap me up and Call Me Jesus recently wrote about seeing this film, saying that the trailer for Rob Zombie's "Werewolf Women of the SS" was a bit of a let down. As a "fan" of the Ilsa flicks, I was expecting something really outstanding from this trailer. The bizarre Nazi women subgenre has plenty of fodder for a 45 second spot. What I got was good - due mostly to the cameos. Personally, I thought the "Thanksgiving" trailer was pretty amazing, and my personal favourite.

Although Planet Terror and Death Proof are quite different in tone, they compliment each other really well. The over-the-top gore of Rodriquez's installment (which works like a Carpenter/Romero film) didn't diminish the impact of QT's more white-knuckled installment. I don't think I cringed as much at any point as I did with some of the stunt driving in Death Proof

Even if you're not a fan of the violence, there is so much going on in Grindhouse that it's hard not to like it. The trailers and the terrible retro animation harken back to a time when movie going was a more visceral and carnal experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is grindhouse the one where the chick has a machine gun leg? i kinda wanted to go see that one, but i didn't want to admit it to the guys i was with at the time. how good was it?

Michael said...

Chick with machine gun leg is Grindhouse Actually, that was the thing I was most concerned about. I mean, machine gun leg is a great one-off joke, but the previews made it look like it was a promient thing in that film. It's not. They save it until late into the film and use it well.

Anonymous said...

it's the one thing that i wanted to see in the film. the chick with the machine gun leg. how cool would it be to have one of those?