Thursday, April 12, 2007

Well, the semester is steaming rolling to an end. I have about 40 or so papers left to grade before next week, and then 45 exams that are being written next week. Spent the afternoon grading... grading and procrastinating.

With all the marking (and a few other things that I can't get into just yet), I haven't had much time to post here. If I'm honest, Facebook has quickly abosrbed a lot of my internet time. Reconnecting with people from the very distnat past has been surreal, to say the least. People I went to grade school with have suddenly popped back into my life.

I mentioned my Facebook obsession in class recently and that evening half the class had requested to be my friend. I'm waiting until the end of semester to add them. Today I got a request from some guy I don't even know. He's the friend of one guy I know. Why would he want to be my friend? Why would I want to be his?

I went to the public library to return some books. I recently discovered that I can get from Portage Place mall all the way to the library without going outside! It takes about 20 minutes, and it's a relatively nice walk. After dropping off the books I had, I picked up the next volume of A Dance to the Music of Time (which has novels 4, 5, 6, 7 of a 12 novel narrative and Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, which only came out a month or so ago. I was going to request it but figured it wouldn't be available for a while, and there it was on the shelves! I read the first short story, "A Study in Emerald," which is described as Sherlock Holmes meets Lovecraft. I think it's the most inventive and original non-Doyle Holmes story I have ever read. Brilliant.

3 comments:

Rebs said...

facebook eh?
I'm too old to adapt to all these crazy newfangled internet things...

will have to check out Gaiman - the Holmes rewrites that I've read have been atrocious.

Rebs said...

I just looked him up, and I realized that I have read something by him. I read "Neverwhere" in high school. mostly thanks to my some of my friends, who really liked vampire stories.
weird.

saran said...

I am going to take advantage of your facebook obsession by adding you right... now. Your class must think you're so hip to be on facebook! :)