Monday, May 29, 2006

Let her talk about the things you can't explain

I realize I've been a little lax about updating this. Everyday I sit at my computer and think to myself, "I should write something in my blog." And then I can't think of a single thing to write.

There's nothing interesting going on in my life right now: no adventures, no profound insights into the world. That's not to say I'm not busy. I am. In fact, lately I'm obscenely busy with PhD stuff, but no one wants to hear about that.

So I'll respond to Professor Van Helsing's quiz which I found over at IMDB


1) What film made you angry, either while watching it or in thinking about it afterward?

The question seems to assume that only one film has made me angry. That's just not true. Films that have made me angry include: Star Wars Episode 2, The Portrait of a Lady, some BenoƮt Jacquot film that I saw at the TIFF. There was something recently that left me enraged... but it can't think of the title. Apparently I was so mad I've repressed it.

2) Favorite sidekick

Patricia Franchini (played by Jean Seabring)in Godard's Breathless.

3) One of your favorite movie lines

"Do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?"

4) William Holden or Burt Lancaster?

William Holden.

5) Describe a perfect moment in a movie

Well, the hill of beans speech at the end of Casablanca is pretty damn close to perfect.

6) Favorite John Ford movie

Um, I'm probably supposed to like Stagecoach more, but I prefer My Darling Clementine.

7) The inverse of a question from the last quiz: What film artist (director, actor, screenwriter, whatever) has the least–deserved good reputation, artistically speaking. And who would you replace him/her with on that pedestal?

I think Laurence Olivier is an extremely overrated actor.

8) Barbara Stanwyck or Ida Lupino?

Barbara Stanwyck.

9) Showgirls-- yes or no?

A hesitant yes.

10) Most exotic or otherwise unusual place in which you ever saw a movie

Sadly, the drive in. It wasn't very 'exotic, but it did smell like urine... and there was a lighting storm

11) Favorite Robert Altman movie

MASH or Gosford Park

12) Best argument for allowing rock stars to participate in the making of movies

Phil Collins in A Hard Day's Night. Actually, A Hard Day's Night makes a pretty good argument too.

13) Describe a transcendent moment in a film (a moment when you realized a film that just seemed routine or merely interesting before had become become something much more)

First viewing of Casablanca or Duck Soup.

14) Gina Gershon or Jennifer Tilly?

Well, they both seem a little crazy, but if I had to pick one I guess it'd be Jennifer Tilly.

15) Favorite Frank Capra movie

It's a Wonderful Life is the best of an outstanding body of work.

16) The scene you most wish you could have witnessed being filmed

Anything from Casablanca

17) Robert Ryan or Richard Widmark?

Widmark.

18) Name a movie that inspired you to walk out before it was finished

"Inspired"? I've only walked out of one movie that I can recall... that Benoit Jacquot film

19) Favorite political movie

All the President's Men
or Putney Swope.

20) Your favorite movie poster/one-sheet, or the one you’d most like to own

I don't know... I guess the one for Kubrick's Lolita.

21) Jeff Bridges or Jeff Goldblum?

Bridges.

22) Favorite Ken Russell movie

Women in Love

23) Accepting the conventional wisdom that 1970-1975 marked a golden age of American filmmaking in which artistic ambition and popular acceptance were not mutually exclusive, what for you was this golden age’s high point? (Could be a movie, a trend, the emergence of a star, whatever)

Blah, I dunno... the evolution of the director.

24) Grace Kelly or Ava Gardner?

Grace Kelly.

25) With total disregard for whether it would ever actually be considered, even in this age of movie recycling, what film exists that you feel might actually warrant a sequel, or would produce a sequel you’d actually be interested in seeing?

Well, it's not Rocky 6, that's for sure. I think a sequel to The Breakfast Club would be tempting.

No comments: