Wednesday, May 24, 2006

What if I ride? What if you walk?

A sincere thank-you to those who sent e-cards and birthday wishes. They were really appreciated. I mean it. But birthdays? *grunt* More freakin' trouble than they're worth.

What does it mean when the only actual, physical card you've received in the mail is one from a lady who babysat you when you were 2-3 years old? Should my blood family have figured out the mail system by now?

I did get the new Leonard Cohen book of poetry from my wife (who knows me too well) and for a brief moment I was transported to a time, several years ago, in Waterloo. I'd head down to Kitchener in order to scour the second hand book stores for Cohen's books. I have an impressive collection: Let Us Compare Mythologies, Spicebox of Earth, Death of a Lady's Man, and others whose spines are too far away to read. Eventually I had most everything. Cohen retreated to Mount Baldie. The trips to downtown Kitchener were never quite the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!