Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Changed my hairstyle so many times now, don't know what I look like

Spent a few hours Sunday afternoon at Providence College's graduation ceremony. It's the first year I've attended, because it's the first year I've taught more than a handful of the graduates. I think 10-15 of them had passed through one of my classes or the other (and really there are only two). It was nice to see them get their opportunity to walk across the stage, receive their degrees, and flip their tassels - though some of them seemed to have trouble with the whole tassel thing, thankfully none of my former students had much trouble.

I tried to make my way around to congratulate as many students I knew as I could... I didn't see (or get to talk to) everyone, as the gym and foyer were quite cramped, but I spoke to many. Everyone looked so happy - the guys looked confident and mature, the ladies beautiful and radiant. Most seemed occupied with family and friends. I didn't want to bother or interrupt, just let them know that I was pleased for them. Don't know if they cared one way or the other, but it meant something to me to tell them I was proud of them. I don't think many student think of professors as "people," but we are. Well, most of us are.

The service was short, as far as grads go: two hours and a bit. My Laurier BA grad was a painful 4 hours... never got to my MA grad. I think when I finally get a chance to walk across the stage to be dubbed "Doctor," my Gameboy will be idling in my pocket.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I slipped a book up my sleave to keep me company during the service. Unfortunately, the only thing I had on me was a series of essays on Liberation Theology. Not exactly gripping.

Recognition from professors, however brief, is always meaningful. If the prof is respected by the student, the student will desire his/her respect. If the student is ambivalent, recognition by the prof is cause for reevaluation. If the student dislikes the prof, the recognition is akin to victory. I was disappointed when my Faculty professors failed to give me anything more than a nod.

For my part, anyway, thanks for coming.

Michael said...

It was my pleasure.

And essays on Liberation Theology would have seemed like a Nick Hornsby novel compared to rereading the program over and over and over again.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm home in good old NS! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad that I saw you at the beginning rather than after I started crying on everyone who hugged me. It got to be a bit much -- the claustrophobia, the leaving, the heightend emotions. Anyway, thanks for being there. :)

Michael said...

I don't, as you can imagine, deal well with emotion. So I'm also glad I saw you at the beginning. Actually, I would have coped had I run into Weepy-Marie. It was good to see you too. Stay safe in Nova Scotia... it's an unsettling place. Well, the parts I've been to (Truro, New Glasgow, Parsboro and other places people I'm related to live).