Saturday, November 25, 2006

He wore his passion for his woman like a thorny crown

Okay, either people aren't reveling in the irony of the Catholic Church's embarrassment over an unwed pregnant teenager (who plays Mary in the new Nativity movie) as much as I am or they're just not reading my blog.

Not to be discouraged, I have a wonderfully creepy new story about rural life that I heard only last night. This one takes place right here in Manitoba.

Okay, a lady I know (actually I lady I've met once, though my wife knows her) recently moved to rural Manitoba. She bought a large house in a small community and has enjoyed settling into small town life where she is known for a) being single and b) her large menagerie of cats.

The other night, as she was in bed, she woke up suddenly and saw a man standing over her bed. She screamed and, this part makes me laugh, covered her head with the covers. When she looked out from her blankets a few moments later there was no one in the room. Not believing in ghosts, she got up to investigate.

Sure enough there was some physical evidence that someone may have been in the house: a door which she was sure she had been locked was now open, some things had been moved from where she thought she'd put them, and the cats were acting weird. There was nothing stolen and, I suppose, nothing concretely pointing to an intruder. So she wondered if she hadn't dreamed the whole thing. She promptly went back to sleep.

The next day she told some people at work about the figure in her bedroom, stating that she may have dreamed the whole thing but wasn't sure. They convinced her that she should take this more seriously. She finally agreed to contact the local authorities about the possibility of a break-in.

When she did contact the police (or RCMP or whatever the heck thy have in the way of law enforcement out in the boonies) they didn't seem all that surprised. In fact, they said they thought they knew who it was - breaking in to people's houses and watching them sleep was something one of the locals did. They told her they'd look into it and, get this, "not to worry."

"It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside....look at these lonely houses, each in its own fields, filled for the most part with poor ignorant folk who know little of the law. Think of the deeds of hellish cruelty, the hidden wickedness which may go on, year in, year out, in such places, and none the wiser."
Sherlock Holmes, "The Copper Beeches"

4 comments:

Tom said...

Shoot, they're onto me!

Um, I mean, that's really creepy. Who would ever do that?

Anonymous said...

now that is really creepy...i shouldn't have done it, but right after, i pictured what that would have felt/looked like and really creeped myself out. oh overractive imagination, when will it learn?

and now i'm obsessed with trying to figure out which one the
'copper beeches' is. is it the one with the girl on her bike?

oh look, the handy-dandy internet...

Anonymous said...

oh I see. it's not that one - but it is a creepy one...

Keira said...

I didn't comment on the last post because nothing I could write would accurately reflect how disturbed I was. I shouldn't be surprised at this point, though.
Will the hypocrisy never end?
The irony goes even farther than simply the unwed mother status : the message of Christ is to welcome the world into relationship with him, and instead the church repels one of the very people who helped make this message accessible! What does that say to people? Come to Christ, everybody - oh, but not if you're *bad*. We don't associate with rubbish, because we're all so holy . . . (holy as whitewashed tombs)