Thursday, November 23, 2006

She's gonna turn me down and say 'Can't we be friends?'

On Monday, when I was at the UM, my boss walked into my office holding a CD. "You have to listen to this," he said. "You'll love it."

He hands me this:

"Ella and Louis" is one of the best jazz albums I've ever heard (and I have a lot of jazz albums). It's been on my iPod all week.

If you have never heard Ella Fitergerald sing, you have not heard singing. She very well may have possessed the perfect voice. Armstrong's distinctive voice, while by no means perfect, is completely his own. It's that individuality which compliments Ella's oh-my-goodness-what-a-voice so perfectly. Their chemistry is something you don't typically hear in duets, especially in our own hyper-sexual world where the two people singing must sound as if they're in the throws of passion. Ella and Louis have a familiarity and comfort with each other that make these oft-recorded songs their own. You have the sense that they just really like singing together.

6 comments:

Roz said...

She is pretty awesome

Anonymous said...

oh I know what you mean...I also have a cd of those two together - best thing ever! it actually might be the same one, but it's got different cover

Anonymous said...

Nope, I looked it up I’ve got:
Best Of Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong

But, it does a good chunk of the same songs – and it is awesome.

jpunk5 said...

my dad listened to jazz and classical, so, growing up, we listened to jazz and classical, and ella and louis are two that we listened to quite a bit. my dad has old records of those and fats waller, etc. etc.etc...it's pretty cool...

Anonymous said...

when are you at prov next? would you be able to pick up a few books from the library there?

Michael said...

I'm next there on Wednesday, though I don't have borrowing privileges.

I'll email Terry Kennedy and see if I can get that.