Thursday, February 01, 2007

I don't typically comment on things I see in the newspaper or hear on the news. I guess I'm reasonably content in my little bubble-world and see no point in letting the "real world" infiltrate my acre of cyber-space. But this NEWS STORY is worth commenting on.

Okay, so some mom has gone to the Ontario Human Rights Commission over the University of Ottawa expelling her twin 10-year old sons from a university class. She claims its a Human Rights violation and age discrimination. Seriously. The kids were signed up a U of O class, called the "activism course" and the University withdrew them without explanation. This boggles my post-secondary-educating mind.

Now, I realize that there are always special circumstances, and that exceptionally brilliant children have succeeded in University (Doogie Howser for one). But some how I don't think these two kids are exceptions.
Two crusading 10-year-olds can't say if they learned to be activists before they were expelled from a University of Ottawa class dubbed the activism course. "I can't answer that," said Sebastien Foster ... "I don't know what activism means."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

bad link

Michael said...

Fixed...

Rebs said...

nope, not fixed as far as I can tell.

I think this is the main reason that I don't pay any attention to the news (except when my roommate clips an article that she knows I'd be interested in) - people are just so...weird

Keira said...

I don't know, I sure wish I could have gone straight to college instead of uselessly sitting through high school. (grades 11 & 12 weren't bad, but they could cut grades 9 & 10 and no one would miss them - ooh, and 5 & 7 for that matter)
Of course then the coolness of university would be besmirched by all the self-conscious teen and pre-teen weenies.