Monday, February 05, 2007

It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe

There's an idiot wind a' blowing.

Might as well lay my cards out on the table: I'm extremely grumpy, and have been so for several days. Even last night, surrounded by friends and supposed friends, I felt isolated and, at times, slighted. After the exuberence of Sarah's greeting, nods and waves fell flat. Not even the Wii could bring me up. Meh, I'm sure I'm just out of sorts. It'll pass. It always does.

Finally got to see Pan's Labrynith. Easily one of the most beautiful and disturbing movies I've ever seen. Not for the faint of heart, but worthwhile. I suppose such a brutal movie could have something to do with my strange mood. It's possible.

Finished series 4 of "Spooks" (aka "MI5" in the US), a brilliant British spy show. British shows typically have a much shorter "season" than American shows - usually 6-10 episodes. Now that the series is done, I have to sit and wait for series 5 (which has aired in the UK) to come to DVD. Also, I have an unabashed crush on the character Ruth.

13 comments:

Rebs said...

yeah, I've been hearing excellent things about that one - I would go see it, but I think I'd need someone to hold my hand...

I know I certainly didn't talk to you last night...and afterward regretted it. but in the heat of the boggle moment, all that was not boggle was forgot. sorry :(

Anonymous said...

i'll stop by in a few minutes to see if you're around for that coffee. hopefully we can make your day a little brighter.

Michael said...

How many of you are there?

Anonymous said...

ha. just me. i'm sick, so i say weird things. can't help it, really. see you in a bit.

Rebs said...

it's good to be unabashed! crush on mike, crush on.

Michael said...

I just hope Veronica Mars doesn't find out!

Rebs said...

y'never know - she might be okay with an open relationship.
you should at least talk about it.

Cheryl said...

I approve of the Mike using the word unabashed.

I also was slightly distracted and occupied last night and can't really remember how often I talked to people.

That was probably the first time my friend had been to church, so just wanted to make her feel welcome.

Roz said...

Were YOU talking to people last night Mike? I know I talked to you Mr.Baptized-six-times
I was also trying very hard to make sure that the friend I invited was having a good time/not left all alone. I actually found it kind of hard to fit in...most people were kind of focused on what they were playing and not on inviting others to play or on playing things that could include everyone :( We'll have to keep that in mind.

Tom said...

Yeah... I know I definitely created a weird social situation with the Wii... because I sort of have-to/feel-the-need-to manage it, but I didn't really have much desire to PLAY it. Having it there also creates this weird insular zone of Wii players...

I definitely felt like I slighted you a bit Mike; you stepped up to the Wii probably expecting me to stay with it and I totally didn't, instead sticking YOU with managing it (as the only Wii-experienced person present)... I'm sorry. That was not cool.

New plan: next time, I will bring it, but like all the other games it will be set up on request only. That way there's no confusion about who wants to play it.

Michael said...

Tom, I didn't feel slighted by you. I really think it was (mostly) in my head. Sometimes I have unrealistic expectations.

Dave said...

See, you needed the Booth Boys to be there so when you walked in the door you heard non-stop yelling about your arrival (or at least 5 mins worth of yelling).

Tom said...

Well... I'm glad my behaviour didn't bother you, but it still kinda bothered me. Oh well. Live and learn.