Saturday, February 17, 2007

You better hope and pray
that you wake one day in your world

Rebs' impending paper on The Tragedy of Richard the Third reminds me of a confession that I have yet to make here. It's a little embarassing, but then what good confession isn't a least somewhat embarassing. I wasn't sure if I'd ever broach this subject, but *deep breath* here it goes:

I look like an awful lot like Shakespeare.

You're not convinced? I don't blame you. Let me show you.

This is the portrait of Shakespeare, unquestionably the most widely known of the Bard, originally appeared on the cover page of the printed First Folio (1623) the first collected edition of his plays. Shakespeare died in 1616, so this portrait comes from several years after his death.

I do not look like this, and I don't think anyone should.

However ...

this is a much more recently uncovered portrait, believed to be of a young William Shakespeare. It was painted in 1603, during Shakepeare's lifetime. Many scholars over the past decade or so have argued for the authencity of this portrait as opposed to the more famous First Folio portrait.

This looks quite a bit like me. School children and students have commented on this fact.

Now, if I could only write 3 hit plays a year for the next ten or so years, I'd really be set. And unfortunately this does nothing for Rebs.

22 comments:

Rebs said...

does nothing but entertain rebs greatly!!!
that's awesome mike - have I told you you're my new favourite?
cuz you are.

Michael said...

Does it not look like me?

Rebs said...

I actually thought it might be a portrait of you at first glance.

Tom said...

You should probably switch it in for your icon.

Michael said...

Good idea, Tommy.

Rebs said...

speaking of my paper, thanks to the handy internet and my deteriorating writing, I've forgotten how to use semicolons. oh yes.
attempting to write without relying on my much over-used dash is...difficult.

just want some sympathy. thanks for letting me whine.

my roommate says she always pictures you as House because of the profile pic and your sarcastic voice...she'll be shocked to see something that more resembles you...

Michael said...

Awww, tell your roommate that that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

I'll change it back to House one day, I suppose.

Cheryl said...

It's true, it's going to be wierd not getting the visual of Mike's sarcasm.

In your portrait Mike, you look like more of the softy that you are though

Michael said...

That's enough out of you.

Unknown said...

It is you Mike!

I look forward to your plays.

Anonymous said...

oh. haha. this is great. mike=bill; bill=mike. muahaha.

Dave said...

HO-
LY
CRAP!

awesome

DeeDee said...

jeez louise!
I have to say the same thing as rebs said. I also thought it was a portrait of you.
That's just too freaky.

Roz said...

I ALWAYS thought you looked like some one famous Mike, but I could never quite put my finger on it. Now I know.

I also thought that was a portrait of you.

And don't deny anything Mike, you are a softy. You're like a cadburry cream egg. You have to put a hard chocolate shell on the outside to keep all the gooey, creamy, sweetness from escaping.

Michael said...

Okay, you can stop it right now, too. Sheesh, between you two kewpie doll Penner girls, my reputation is taking a real beating.

Rebs said...

I'm pretty sure you've NEVER had the kind of rep' you seem to think you have...time to let the dream die and accept your fuzzy self.
cream egg = mike (aka boycey, shakespeare, shakes, etc.)

Dave said...

Students tremble when Michael Boyce walks through the halls.

That's science.

Roz said...

yup. Good ol' cadbury Mike.
Michael-bury Boyce. Mike-bury cream egg.
Has anyone seen the cadbury cream eggs this year? Is it my imagination or have they made them smaller this year?

Michael said...

Wow, Roz. You insulted me AND made me hungry.

Unknown said...

Well I have to say I disagree with the Mike = Cadbury Cream Egg equation for one very good reason, I detest them, they are disgustingly sweet and while I am willing to agree that Mike is a softy in the creepy sock creature in their living room kind of way, I think he's awesome and not at all detestable.

Michael said...

All right, Mandy, you can just go to Africa.

Roz said...

I forgot about those creepy sock creatures!!!