Tuesday, February 13, 2007

We'd hit the bottom, I thought it was my fault

Rachel and I went to hear Guy Gavriel Kay read last night at McNally Robinson. The reading started at 7:30, so we decided to go early and have dinner before hand. It turned out to be a good choice: the place was packed. We had a table right up front (I could have thrown things and hit Mr Kay if I was so inclined), which turned out to be a very good thing as I spotted my friend Kara in the balcony and were able to invite her to sit with us. (Hi, Kara, if you're lurking).

The crowd was pretty eclectic, more so then I was expecting, but shocking regular. I guess I had thought there'd be a few males wrapped in cloaks and sporting impressive armbands. No one weilded a sword or swore an oath of fidelity to Mr. Kay in Old Finnish. We all sat quietly and listened to him read, politely applauding when he was finished. And while I've sure there were a few people there who could have asked me to "pass the salt" in Elvish, most seemed like normal, decent folk.

4 comments:

Jaimie said...

So, not only did you get to meet one of my favourite authors, but you're also listening to my adorkable music boyfriend.

How very coincidental.

We should be friends.

Michael said...

We should. Let's be friends.

amphimacer said...

You need to let people know beforehand (one word, please). Guy and I shared a place for two years when we were students, in the mid-70s. We met in Creative Writing at U. of Man., and were quite close friends for a while. Forget the prose -- read his poetry.

Michael said...

I invariably forget how small this world is. As my wife and I were the last (of many) people to get autographs, we certainly had time and opportunity to talk to him.